Equinox Homestead: GNB Builders
Tried and true. Updated for you. 3+ BR. 1 story, 2217 sf
This modified Equinox Homestead has become quite popular; having been on television, featured in the National Solar Tour of Homes and in a documentary. Sun Plans CAD files made this home possible through GNB Builders.
GNB Builders in British Columbia, Canada made some delightful one-story changes to our Equinox Homestead design. The home design has been on the National Solar Tour of Homes, was the only passive solar home shown on the documentary Kilowatt Hours, and is here again featured on Shaw TV. Click here to download the short movie.
"GNB Builders is proud to have achieved BuiltGreen™ Platinum rating. GNB Builder's clients were very progressive in their homes features and building practices to allow for a very energy efficient and healthy home. This home is prepped to go off the grid.
* Energuide rating is 84 with 160 BuiltGreen™ Points = Platinum (lower ratings are better in this and some other rating programs)
* Estimated annual cost for heating, hot water, lighting, appliances $1200 (2009)
According to the GNB website, here are some of the key Features of this Platinum BuiltGreen™ Home in the moderate climate of British Columbia, Canada include:
* Passive Solar Design - facing true south
* Milgard Fiberglass windows - highly efficient
* Increased insulation, R22 in walls (instead of code min R20) and R48 in the ceiling (instead of code min R40)
* Thermo insulated mass floor with Rigid insulation - R 7.5
* Geothermal radiant in-floor heating and cooling - Water to water geoExchange Heat Pump
* Electronic air cleaner with Electronically Commutated Motor
* 50 year Metal roof
* Rain water collection system with a 1600 Litre water cistern
* Smart framing practices with engineered products
* Recycled products throughout home
* Reclaimed wood floors and mantle
* No VOC Benjamin Moore paint
* Cement shake board for low maintenance and longevity
* Light fixtures all using LED or CFLs
* Dual low flush toilets
* Prepped for [Active] Solar"