Sun Plans is passionate about how the sun can warm and brighten homes! Since 2002, hundreds of North American home owners have benefited from Sun Plans' internet-based design. About 75% of customers choose Sun Plans' services to help them select, adapt or create a sun-inspired home. Building a home is one of the most expensive investments that a family might make. Why not trust a professional with decades of architectural experience to help?
Review and Consulting by the Architect
Assistance with creating, adapting or selecting a house design all start with consulting services. Review the numerous categories covered in every review and how you are an integral part of the personalized architectural services. Be sure to see Reviews for customer comments.
- As a rule, consulting follows this process
- The customer contacts Sun Plans for the applicable Planning Package for each type of service.
- The Planning Package from Sun Plans helps gather the extensive information needed.
- Adapt-A-SunPlan Planning Package (Approximately 10 pages. Complimentary.)
- Create-A-SunPlan Planning Package (Approximately 20 pages. Complimentary with anypurchase. Most purchase The Sun-Inspired House E-book.)
- Payment by the customer for the Review and Consulting.
- Architectural review of information submitted. (see categories below)
- Detailed responses can be provided to specific energy-related concerns.
- Drawing markups and concept diagrams are often part of the process
- Services are tailored to the customer, climate, latitude, land, and budget as well as any other unique requests.
- The process is different for every home owner. The architect listens carefully to customer's ideas and concerns. She becomes one part friend as she tries to understand the customers' house needs, one part designer as she keeps the floor plan flow and exterior design in mind, and one part professional as she advises on energy and structural concerns.
- Feedback is typically provided in the following categories:
(Not all categories are applicable to every project. Detailed concerns are often more appropriately addressed in the design or the construction drawings stage.)
- House siting
- Floor plan function
- Energy-related concerns
- Construction materials
- Structural issues
- Exterior design
- Opinion of probable construction cost
- Study Plans of any existing designs that could meet the customer's needs without extensive changes are provided with no additional charge.
- Each consulting block includes four hours of the architect's time. (Eight hours with the two blocks required for creating a new design which includes the Concept Diagram.)
- Sometimes additional hours of consulting are needed for extensive reviews, larger homes or extra detailed clients.
The success of the house design process is based on the customers commitment. The customer typically:
- Communicate confidently their likes and dislikes in an existing house plan or new ideas
- Speak openly with their spouses, partners and other family members regarding priorities
- Remain flexible and open minded with options presented
- Rise to the challenge of assisting with research and homework tasks
- Trust professionals to assist them in many aspects of their life
Sun Plans looks forwards to interacting with you!
Pay for Consulting
One block of consulting is $495 and includes four hours of the architects time.
Sun Plans uses PayPal for secure payment processing. You may pay with a PayPal account, or any major credit card (no PayPal account required).
Payment will be handled on the secure PayPal web site, then you'll be returned to the Sun Plans site.
Alternatively, you can call us at 251-341-0509 and pay over the phone.
Sun Plans Consulting
The Select-A-SunPlans process begins the same way as creating a design (see below), but with the intent of selecting a design. The architect knows the designs intimately.
Plans recommended may be ones overlooked or ones not on the web site. Sometimes the architect recommends a particualr design to be adapted. Other times creating a new design is recommended by the architect as the way to obtain a home with the lowest construction cost.
The planning package is complementary after making a purchase from Sun Plans. Most choose The Sun-Inspired House E-book so that they can also browse the 150+ house plans.
Contact Us to request the Create-A-SunPlans Planning Package for selecting a house plan.
Because she knows each design so well, the Sun Plans' architect can see ways to adapt a design for the home owners lifestyle, site, budget, climate and energy priorities. Let her and the Sun Plans team adapt a home for you!
If the selection has been narrowed down to one Sun Plans design, then request the Adapt-A-SunPlan Planning Package. Contact Us with the house plan name and approximate date of when the completed plans are needed to start the process.
Read more about the Adapt-A-SunPlan process.
With over 25 years of designing low-energy, high-performance, passive solar homes, architect Debra Rucker Coleman and her small, service-oriented company would welcome the opportunity to assist you with the design of a sun-inspired home.
For a fraction of the fee paid a realtor, a sunny, green, comfortable low-energy home can be created just for you. Creating a new home design is often the best way to obtain the lowest construction cost with a right-sized design with only the spaces your family needs.
Custom Energy Specs
Preparing customized energy-related specifications is a service that is part of Construction Prints, CAD Files, and any new or adapted designs by Sun Plans. At the current time, there is no extra charge for this service. The Custom Energy Specs are specific to the location in which the home will be constructed. They also vary based on the construction details of each house.
Read more about the Custom Energy Specs.